Handgun Purchase Permits
Senate Bill 368
Effective Date August 1, 2013
RE: NEW Handgun Purchase Permit Application Fee ($5.00)
Senate Bill 368 establishes a $5.00 Non-Refundable fee for processing the application associated with the purchase
permit for a handgun. This fee is in addition to the $5.00 fee for each handgun permit.
We will implement the collection of this fee as of September 3, 2013, at 12:01am. This fee will be collected at the
time you TURN-IN the application at the Sheriff's Office.
As always, the Onslow County Sheriff's Office is eager to assist our citizens in obtaining a Handgun Purchase Permit
and we are available to answer questions you may have regarding this new Non-Refundable Application Fee.
Should you have any questions, please call the Concealed Handgun Permit Office at 910-455-3113 ext 4006.
Sheriff Brown supports 100% our American Constitution, and the enforcement of all city, county, state and
- Applicants may apply for a maximum of three (3) handgun purchase permits at one time.
- Applicants may download the handgun purchase permit application
from this website, or pick up a copy in person in lobby of the Sheriff's Office located at 717 Court
Street, Jacksonville, NC. Applications are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Once completed, the handgun purchase permit application must be returned in person
to the Sheriff's Office located at 717 Court Street, Jacksonville, NC. Applications
may be returned 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Generally, the handgun purchase permit application review process will take approximately 10 to 12
- Once the handgun purchase permit application has been fully reviewed and approved,
the applicant will receive a phone call from the Sheriff's Office, provided the applicant
has included a valid local telephone number. Applicants who have given a long-distance
telephone number on their application must contact the Sheriff's Office at (910) 455-3113 to
check to see if their handgun purchase permit application has been reviewed and approved.
- In all cases where the handgun purchase permit application has been denied, the applicant will
be contacted by the Sheriff's Office by telephone whether they have a local or long-distance
- Approved handgun purchase permits must be picked up in person at the Sheriff's Office
located at 717 Court Street, Jacksonville, NC.
- Each handgun purchase permit costs $5.00. Only cash is accepted.
- For questions regarding the handgun purchase permit application process, please call